Monday, July 18, 2011

There was blood.

Well, I mustered up the courage and brought myself to the parish hall at Saint Katharine of Sienna in Wayne last week...  hydrated, motivated and ready to give blood.
 Although I was disappointed to not receive the 'Be nice to me, I gave blood' sticker, this would do.  It was definitely an interesting experience.  While I waited for my turn to be pricked, I struck up a conversation with the man seated next to me.  He is a regular donor, and does so because both of his parents have been quite ill through the years, and benefited from the blood of other donors.  His father had passed away just two weeks ago, and sought to give life in his honor.  I wish I could have this kind of attitude, to give back to others in response to my own losses.  I suppose I could have this perspective or approach to life if I was more mindful and less self-absorbed.  It definitely caused me pause.  
Fortunately my nurse was awesome, and kept me company throughout the entire process because they weren't too busy.  We had a moment of concern as my pulse was pretty low, but my bp was normal so it turns out I am not dead.  Phew.  The irony of this all is that on Sunday morning my phone rang, with the familiar 'unavailable' on the caller id.  I answered, assuming it must be the Red Cross thanking me for my blood.  No, they were asking to see if I would schedule an appointment to give.  When I explained I just had given a couple of days before, she realized there was a glitch on their system and she'd make sure they didn't call again.  We'll see, maybe I could stay a step ahead of them and just keep donating so they don't need to stalk me!  Wouldn't that be nice. :)  As an aside, they are in great need of type O blood, but will readily take any of your blood (I am B positive) so consider giving blood!
The patron saint of the Church where I donated is Katharine of Sienna.  I wasn't sure if this was the same Catherine of Sienna I am familiar with- it turns out there are various spellings but the same saint.  I appreciate her story as a lay woman because she never actually joined a religious order but lived a life committed to spirituality and the work of reconciliation within the Church.  She lived during the time of the great schism and worked to restore the papacy to Rome.  Catherine described an 'inner cell' in her mind, to which she turned to connect with God and seek refuge and strength.  What a beautiful and practical spiritual way.  A doctor in the church, Catherine embodies the spirit of unity that, as Christians, I think we are called to live in this world political, social, economic, religious and interior division.  What a beautiful model for us to emulate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment