Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Let's get down to business!

Well, despite the insane heat and humidity right now, I have an itch to do some baking.  In my non air conditioned kitchen.  We'll see how this goes!  We've received oodles of zucchini both from our farm share and Ryan's sister over the last two weeks.  I have a delightful-sounding recipe from Whole Foods that I am going to give a try today.  I thought I could hit up two of my goals in this one- to do some healthy baking and be more neighborly.  I am hoping to make a few loaves and then share them around the block.  We just had a new neighbor move in downstairs with her daughter, and it is time to reach out.  Here are some of the giant zucchinis and a monster tomato from the farm share.  I wish we could get this stuff year round!  Maybe next year I will get in to canning, too!
Although it doesn't officially qualify as 'water sports' (goal # 4), I did enjoy getting soaked by water guns at the Bastille Day celebration this weekend at Eastern State.  My sister in-law came down for the event, and we took in the Parisian culture, and hoped to catch a tastykake or two when Marie threw them from the walls of the Penitentiary.  In an ironic twist of events, Ryan ended up getting smashed in the face with a tastykake...  And it wasn't by me!
The whole thing inspired quite a revolutionary spirit in me.  It was a funny and satirical presentation (and we didn't actually end up seeing a beheading, but rather Marie's punishment was to be Arnold Schwarzenegger's housekeeper...) but the overall message focused on the French people's revolution and independence.  The relationship between any leadership and 'the people' has historically been a tenuous one, at best, in nearly every nation and institution.  Here in Philadelphia, we are facing a changing of the guard in the Church's leadership, as it was announced officially today (after some 'leaks' and insider information) that Archbishop Charles Chaput of Denver will take over as Justin Rigali retires as Archbishop of Philadelphia.  There has certainly been a bit of sounding off on all fronts as Philadelphia prepares to welcome a new shepherd...  It seems that everyone already has an opinion before the man has even moved into the city.  Perhaps there are reasons why people are so quick to judge, given past hurt and a sense of betrayal.  Father Chaput will enter a community that is writhing in pain, frustration and yet is also grounded in a vibrant faith and devotion to God that is the cornerstone of the Church here in Philadelphia.   I just pray for open hearts and minds, from all people (myself included) and not just from the leadership.  Although it is easy to look at a person's history and make assumptions about what they will do/won't do, we are called to welcome all people to the table and accept them as they are (despite their pasts, etc).  Our Church needs reconciliation and healing and dare I say, a revolutionary spirit!  NCR has a very thorough interview with Chaput that I'd suggest as a way to learn a bit about our new leader.  Looking forward to seeing what the future and God has in store for us!  The greatest challenge I have felt in this month of being more intentional is in being patient and listening, rather than making assumptions or coming to conclusions without giving things a chance to play out.  But perhaps just being conscious of that is a hopeful sign.  Right?!
I wonder if Chaput will have storm troopers as part of his entourage?!  

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. 
-Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment