Friday, June 24, 2011

Time for Change!

Speaking out about his decision to support same-sex marriage in New York, Republican senator Roy McDonald made it clear that it is time for change in how we do politics...  WARNING- he uses some strong language folks:  "You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," McDonald, 64, told reporters.
"You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this." (full article here)
I love the way he expresses the complexities of our lives, that things aren't always as straight forward or clear as we'd like them to be.  New York lawmakers left Albany last night without a vote on the issue of same sex marriage but will quite possibly vote today.  Though this is certainly an issue dear to my heart as my brother hopes to legally wed his partner of over ten years in June of 2012 in New York, McDonald's challenge reaches beyond the realm of politics or the question of the constitutionality of same sex unions.  We face divisions in every context of our lives: in the work place, in our families, in our neighborhoods, and in our friendships.  Why do we constantly try to divide along the lines of 'us vs. them' or 'black v. white'?  Maybe it seems easier, if we can neatly categorize people and situations, then we don't have to give much effort or thought to a situation and just easily wash our hands of it.  But, well, life isn't always that easy.  Sometimes you need to get your hands dirty, take a risk, and well, if people have a problem with that... (see McDonald's response above to finish the sentence)...  
Now this all sounds nice, warm and fuzzy, but the challenge is how we live it out.  Yesterday I was given a new opportunity at work.  It will enable me to work in different roles with different people in different settings (lots of difference, huh?).  In my 'yes' response, it made me realize I am saying 'yes' not just to the opportunity, but I am saying 'yes' to trying to work towards what is right and good.  And this takes honesty with myself, and really challenging myself to be who I want to be.  I need to realize that life isn't always black and white, or what you see on the surface is certainly never a representation of what is really going on.  I'm excited for new challenges and opportunity!
These last few days have also been fertile ground for finalizing plans for our first camping trip.  Tent has been purchased, sleeping bags, lanterns and air pump for necessary air mattress are ready to go.  I've checked out camping sites along the coast in Maine and New Hampshire, so we just need to book our space and we're on our way!  We'll be heading up the week of July fourth, spending a few days with my family in Massachusetts, then heading to NH and ME to camp and visit some great friends and family along the way (hopefully!) all with Annie in tow.  Ryan has pointed out there is a distinct possibility we might not come back... It's definitely going to involve serious post-vacation depression.  But let's not think of that now!  Instead, I want to focus on the many adventures that await us in two weeks!  I brought Annie to get her shots yesterday and our vet had advice about another camping destination.  Apparently, up at the Delaware Water Gap, you can rent canoes and then they drive you up to the top of a mountain and you canoe down at your pace, with your camping gear in the canoes, and then you stop when you want and there are camping sites all along the shore.  Um, yes please!  And it will contribute to fulfilling two of my goals of camping and exploring water sports...  delightful.  Perhaps a fall weekend?  Any takers?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."  Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment