Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Embracing Joy!

I have to admit, I am stealing this blog idea from one of my favorite blogs and sources of some (unhealthy) delicious recipes : use real butter.  The author of the blog takes amazing, breath taking photographs in addition to blogging about life, celebrating the things that bring her great joy and recipes that use real butter!  Her blog today is focused on celebrating the things in our life that bring us joy, be it the most simple moments of a smile, or a hug, or the extravagant vacation you'll never forget.
Yesterday I took a call on the suicide hotline from a young woman who recently lost her brother and is struggling to find joy and meaning in her life.  She is a successful and passionate nurse who cares for special needs children, and just listening to her talk it was obvious how much empathy and love she has for her patients.  But she couldn't see that in herself, in fact, she couldn't see any of the good things about herself that people tell her each day.  That's a symptom of depression for sure.  As we continued to talk, I heard her voice lighten (not because I miraculously healed her!) but because she started to talk about the little things that give her joy... the moments of seeing a student get well enough to accomplish a task that was previously impossible, or sitting and helping a child read a book.  We found some places where she could volunteer over the summer months when her work schedule is a bit more sporadic, and she can still have the outlets for joy in her life.  And it made me think, finding that which brings you joy really is the best medicine.  It gives you a reason to get out of bed, can lighten the load you're carrying in your heart, and even if just for a moment, you're able to laugh, to smile, and to feel your heart swell with joy.
I thought I'd share a few things that have brought me joy over the last few weeks, but ask you to share: what brings you joy?
My good friend from college, Caroline, has one of the happiest and most adorable babies.  Little Henry will wake up in the middle of a nap giggling instead of screaming, has a wicked laugh and just the cutest little pudgy legs.  I've been blessed to see him twice this week (and each time plotted a way to fit him in my hand bag on the way out) and the wonder and happiness in his eyes is enough to put any worries or stresses at ease.  The world just stops for a moment when you look at him.  Here he is in his little duck towel getting ready to snuggle in for the night!

Annie made me literally fall over laughing last night... she loves to 'play' with Bubba by chasing him around and then nibbling on his furry back.  Bubba sits there and lets her nibble, somewhere in between tolerating and secretly enjoying the attention.  I didn't actually see Annie nibbling last night, but moments later she was caught in the act:




This winter my family was able to escape the snow and frigid temperatures and spend a week together in Saint John's (USVI) to celebrate my mom's 60th.  It was a week of hilarity and sun, and this moment captures some the laughter we had-- I'll leave it up to the imagination as to what we are laughing it!



One of the greatest joys in my life is being on the coast.  This easter Ryan and I brought Annie up to MA to visit with my family.  It was Annie's first time at the beach as far as we know.  Though she was afraid of the waves at first, we got her to see the fun at the creek, a place I spent most of my own childhood splashing in the shallow, warmer water!


Finally, watching my husband (the closet scientist) brew his own beer is something that brings me great joy.  Obviously I enjoy tasting the fruits of his labor :) but more than that, I love seeing how much he enjoys all the calculations and science-y stuff that goes into the brewing process.


Please share in a comment what is something or many things that bring you joy?  Let's inspire one another :)
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment