Saturday, June 11, 2011

Game on!

Thursday marked the beginning of the last year in my 20's!  I was blessed to have the day off from school and spend the day relaxing, getting a pedicure and a surprise visit from friends!  I registered for a 5 mile race at the end of July, working on goal #5.  Anyone want to join?  It's a really flat course in Chestnut Hill, PA.  The race goes through part of Fairmount Park along the Wissahickon so it is picturesque.  Best of all, it supports an amazing organization that I am passionate about.  MCAP, or Montgomery County Child Advocate Project, is a volunteer-based organization of lawyers who work as advocates and supporters of children who are going through the legal process due to child abuse and/or neglect.  MCAP is dear to my heart not only because the woman who runs it is a parent of former students, but also because I was a social worker for a year when I first graduated college and I worked with kids who were abused and neglected.  In addition to providing in-home services and connecting families to community resources (counseling, food banks, medical clinics, rec centers, etc.), I would accompany them through the court system if the children were at risk of being removed from their parents.  Watching children go through this process with parents who sometimes were unable (or chose not) to fulfill their role of parents, I saw how vulnerable the children were.  This is where the MCAP comes in, as well as social workers.  They look out for the kids best interest but also provide emotional support and empowerment.  If you're interested, let me know!  http://www.runforthehillofit.org/
For the rest of my birthday, I made a bit of a mistake and offered to babysit at night, kind of overlooking the whole birthday thing.  It ended up being a low key night with the kids, as it was over 100 degrees and we had some crazy storms.  I made it home by 10 to spend a little time celebrating with Ryan.  Fortunately we have a weekend of fun planned so I know missing the official night of my birthday is not a big deal at all!
Yesterday was my last day of school for the year.  It is always a bittersweet time, as I am overjoyed to have some time off to recharge batteries and make some extra money, but at the same time I will miss seeing everyone I at school and the consistency of a routine.  Alas I marked the end with a fun celebration last night with some good friends and good beers and good food!  I think my favorite part was watching people from different parts of my life connect and have a great time together.  Even though people may have never met before or they met once or twice, it is really cool to see how well they get along and share the same sense of humor and just general way of relating.
I was so proud of myself that I brought my camera to work on goal #14, only to realize the battery was dead as soon I got there.  Hopefully some of the pictures from other people throughout the night will make their way to the blog someday soon! 
So, here is the list of my last 10 goals for the year....  And it's on!
Goal #21: Watch the sun rise
Although I have pulled my share of all-nighters, I've never watched the sun rise from a picturesque location.  The pictures I've seen, watching the sun crest over the horizon, are absolutely breathtaking.  Seeing it in person and witnessing the natural beauty is another way of being more intentional for me, and appreciating things that I often take for granted or overlook.
Goal #22: Make plans and stick to them
Life gets busy, and there are always reasons why I can't do something (whether it's something else came up, money, exhaustion, etc.) but I think that sometimes I let these reasons or just the general business of life get in the way of connecting with people whom I love and miss.  I have friends living all over the country who I'd really like to visit or at least be in touch with regularly, and I also have friends all over the city or even my neighborhood who I'd love to spend more time with.  Hope to remedy this situation!
Goal #23:  Listen
Now, I mean really listen.  Sometimes I might hear what I 'want' to hear, or what I think someone is saying without necessarily hearing what they are actually saying.  I also hope to listen more to myself, to the movements and emotions I experience.. to understand how God is working in those moments and feelings.  This definitely requires a bit of patience, and it is a lifelong learning process.
Goal #24: Play
One of my favorite pastimes when I am with my family is playing cards and other games.  Ryan and I sometimes play rummy and our new favorite 'bananagrams' on our back deck.  Playing games is a great way to decompress, laugh, get a little competitive and have a fun night without costing anything!  I have a basket full of games, Apples to Apples, Taboo, Trivia Pursuit, etc.  Just need to get some willing participants!
Goal #25: Buy local
Ryan and I have decided to continue our CSA share this year for vegetables, and it is a great way to support local farmers and eat organic.  But this is really the only 'local' effort we make consistently.  One of my colleagues has started to make me paranoid about eating any food products that originate in China (didn't realize my garlic was coming from there... who knows what is in their soil!) so I am motivated to avoid eating risky products but also want to support the local economy as much as possible.  In the wake of the economic crisis, I am continually troubled by how many Americans are unemployed and underemployed, and how many corporations continue to outsource and take jobs elsewhere.  Enough of my soapbox for now, but I hope to support more local establishments instead of automatically going to Kohl's or other chains and instead check out the mom and pop shops.
Goal #26: Retreat
It has been several years since I have been on a retreat, and the idea of even spending a day at Wernersville retreat house brings me great joy.  Retreats have always been a significant part of my life as they provide an opportunity to take some time away from life to reflect, listen and connect.  As a teacher, I've been blessed to continue to be a part of the retreat program at our school and accompany our seniors on their overnight retreats.  However, the experience as a retreat leader is much different than a participant.  Hopefully I can find an opportunity to retreat in the coming year!
Goal #27: Save
Although times are tight and we are constantly making decisions about our finances and needs, intentionally saving even a small amount each week can have a great impact over time.  All it takes is being intentional (and setting up automatic withdrawal from our checking account... and not canceling it)!
Goal #28: Take risks and think outside the box
There have been many times over the last few years where I've had an idea or an opportunity set before me that I have avoided or declined because I was afraid of the risks associated with it.  This takes place in professional endeavors, personal relationships and future goals.  Though it is important to be honest about the risk factor whenever I'm making a decision, I don't want my fears to prevent me from growing and being challenged.
Goal #29: Eat breakfast in bed... once a month
I love our bed.  When Ryan and I moved last year, we invested in a beautiful sleigh bed that is big enough to fit both of us and Annie comfortably.  I always look forward to the end of the night when we can go 'get snuggly'.  But why reserve this great area for sleeping only?  The idea of cooking (or being cooked for) and then eating in bed is delightful!  I have to be honest, Ryan does occasionally bring my breakfast in bed- but I don't think I've ever reciprocated it.
Goal #30: Be patient (with life, myself & everyone else!)
Making this list of goals for the next year excites and challenges me.  But my mind is already racing, trying to accomplish all 30 things in the next month.  The reason I wanted to start this project and blog is to live more intentionally and embrace life more fully.  It isn't because I have a to-do list that must be accomplished.  So being patient has to be the backbone of this entire year... to live in the moment and savor all that life has to offer!

I'll end with a great quote that's been shared at school quite a bit frequently.  It is originally from St. Catherine of Siena but was recently a part of the sermon at Will and Kate's royal wedding (and no, I didn't get up and watch it!).   
“Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.”

No comments:

Post a Comment