Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Storms brewing...

Two weeks ago, as the east coast braced itself for the arrival of hurricane Irene, I headed to yoga.  As the skies darkened the night before the arrival of the storm, the heat radiated in the yoga studio (literally, she turned off the air conditioning and it was naaasty.)  In one of the positions, the instructor shared an insight that has stayed with me as a mantra every day:  No matter what storm is brewing, real or imagined, we have the ability to remain centered.  Now, this was perhaps a commentary on the hysteria of over-buying peanut butter, water and batteries that took hold over our area in preparation of the incoming storm.  But I think it had even greater insight into how we react to the world around us.  Oftentimes it is true that the anticipated storm in my life is really just a figment of my imagination, and I might (just maybe) blow things out of proportion once in awhile.  Then again, sometimes the storms are real, and have the ability to knock us off our feet and lose power.  But in the midst of both of these types of storms, and those that fall somewhere in between, we do have the ability, the power, and the choice to stay centered... to focus on what is really most important, and not be knocked into hysteria or panic.  As the school year begins, this mantra has been especially pertinent.  The newness of the school year and the crazed pace of getting everything started and set up can easily lead to unnecessary hysteria or panic.  But the ability to stay centered remains.
My mom passed along the news that a classmate from high school passed away after a courageous fight with breast cancer.  I knew she had been sick because we used to be connected via Facebook (but as part of my 'cutting back' this spring, I deleted the majority of my 'friends', and she fell victim to my scaling back), but it was my understanding that she was well, working and living her life.  As it turns out, the pictures on facebook and the postings about Phish concerts and 5K's didn't tell the full story of what was going on in her life...  it seems like she was somehow able to stay centered despite the storm raging in her body.  If you're looking to be inspired, and maybe a little weepy, check out her blog. 
Megan's Pink Blog
What an amazing woman....  Rest in peace, Megan!  You are such an inspiration! 

1 comment:

  1. If you are touched by Megan's story, here is another amazing story that is about being survivors, and embracing life. There is a delicious recipe at the bottom, too, that I'd love to try!
    http://userealbutter.com/2011/09/08/bourbon-peach-hand-pies-recipe/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+userealbutter+%28use+real+butter%29

    ReplyDelete