Thursday, September 1, 2011

Focusing on what's right in the world

This week has brought a whirlwind of conversations around the future of the school where I teach.  An all-girls, Catholic, independent academy, the school has a rich tradition that spans back 153 years.  As we face a changing population of students, a challenging economic climate, global reality, etc. etc there are questions swelling about the future and how we can remain competitive and true to our mission.  Part of our principal's introduction to the school year focused around a short video put together by Dewitt Jones, a photographer for National Geographic, emphasizing our ability to celebrate what is right in the world instead of focusing on what isn't working.  Essentially, to choose to be positive and see the goodness in each 'frame' or experience in our midst.  At our school, we are adapting this approach in our accreditation process but ultimately we are taking this approach in our lives.  In the moments of starting a new school year, there is much to celebrate that is right in the world.  It is helpful to be reminded that we have the ability to choose what we focus on and celebrate, and I am trying to bring this perspective to my classroom throughout the year.  I made a little bulletin board yesterday with the tag line 'Celebrate what's right in the world', and I am going to have my seniors bring in a picture of something, somewhere, or someone that embodies what they see as right in the world- to help keep them grounded in what is right and beautiful in the world when the stress of the college process and uncertain futures weigh them down. 

In the midst of the hurricane this past weekend, there were many moments to celebrate.  I was moved to tears when a fellow teacher from school called me Saturday night to see if Ryan and I needed to evacuate, and welcomed us to stay at her home.  Our old neighborhood in Philadelphia is prone to flooding, and some of the people right on the river were encouraged to evacuate, but fortunately we weren't affected in our new neighborhood.  Her thoughtfulness and generosity really overwhelmed me... would I have done that?  As I start the new year and might feel a bit daunted by the new responsibilities and courses I am teaching, I certainly need to celebrate what is right at my work- the amazing people who have become my family, and who go out of their way to love and care for one another.
One final thought on what is right in my world... as the new year started and I found myself in the new position of department chair, we had our first departmental meeting this week.  I was feeling nervous and excited to tell my colleagues in the theology department about the idea of starting a faith sharing group for faculty.  When I tell you they were enthusiastic, I am understating their reaction...  Not only did they want to participate and help develop it, but they helped me to trust this is a need in our school and creating the space for authentic community to flourish will be valuable.  Even if three of us gather, they pointed out that it is worth it and will be blessed.  They emphasized we should do it twice a month, don't wait until the middle of the year to start, etc. etc... the passion was palpable and contagious.  What a gift to be surrounded by such supportive and amazing people! 
Celebrating what is right in this world....
Loving life in Newport, RI



1 comment: